About Our Department
After the union of the United Arab of Emirates, Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah, sought to establish the present and the future of Sharjah through its generous and knowledgeable history and realise it as the cultural capital devoted to cultural traditions and intellectual beliefs. Within two decades, an infrastructure was created in the Emirate to develop the social, cultural sense in forms of universities, museums, galleries, and centres of educational preparation and art for children, youth and women clubs, service institutions, and local and Arab cultural events throughout the year.
For Sharjah to play this pioneering role and continues its noble mission before and even after the establishment of United Arab Emirates, His Highness Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi issued an Emiri Decree No. (20) on April 30, 1981 for establishing the "Cultural Department," which later became known as Department of Culture and Information after initiating the artistic work efforts and expanding the base of it to the citizens throughout the country. The Department assured the aim by creating an identity of Arabic and authentic Islamic culture, influenced by the culture of humanity in a larger sense, following Sheikh Sultan's slogan, "Enough with the concrete revolution, and turn to creating a Human being."
Responsibilities and objectives:
The department will focus on the cultural and media aspects in the emirate of Sharjah. It has expanded the responsibilities and roles by setting fundamental and determined goals, which are achieved through annual cultural programmes. These objectives are:
- Prioritise cultural activity in agreement with the actual needs of a long-term strategy.
- Preserve the national culture and arts.
- Provide activities and programmes that consolidate Arab and Islamic values and which contribute to a national identity capable of providing to the community.
- Expand the horizons and frameworks of knowledge to serve the development goals with social, economic, and political perspectives.
- Preserve local heritage and enlighten the community about its importance.
- Cooperate with the local, Arab, and international cultural institutions to serve the aims of cultural work.
The Cultural Department began to make its way under the care of His Highness, and achievements were appearing at all levels successively. The outcomes have become a witness to this noble mission and its objectives. The role of the Sharjah Department of Culture and Information came to be at the centre of directing, preparing, and overseeing of this institution. The Department consists of divisions, namely: Directorate of Planning, Directorate of Management, Directorate of Art, Directorate of Theatre, Directorate of Cultural Affairs, Directorate of Research and Publications, Directorate of Information, and Directorate of Public Relations.